Race day for the Long Beach 10 Miler is upon us!
Please note – to take full advantage of slack tide on the ocean leg, competitors MUST be checked in by 10AM and ready to enter the water at 11AM! Get to the site EARLY – we WILL go on time!
If you haven’t registered yet, please do so NOW! If you pre-registered, you received this letter:
NYNJPaddle.com 2012 Race Series
WPA National NYNJPaddle.com Long Beach 10 Miler – July 14th, 2012
Competitor Pre-Race and Race Day Instructions Letter
Welcome Pre-Registered Competitors! Thank you for participating in our event benefitting the Dean Randazzo Cancer Foundation, The Tommy Brull Foundation, Camp Anchor for Children with Disabilities, and the Danny Bobis Scholarship fund!
Here’s some important news, pre-race and race day information:
In the News: NYNJPaddle.com is proud to welcome 10 time Molokai-2-Oahu World Paddleboard champion Jamie Mitchell to the race!
Not only has Jamie entered the race, he will be on hand for the local premiere of “Decade of Dominance”, featuring Jamie, Dave Kalama, Gerry Lopez, Rob Machado, Kelly Slater and more at Pop’s post race! Please invite your family and friends to join us at Pops post-race for this great event as well as discount food and drinks along with raffles and prizes!
In addition, for those that have yet to check out the nynjpaddle.com site, on Friday before the race and again on Sunday after our race, Jamie will be hosting an all day race clinic out east! (Click the link for more info!) For the more serious or those looking to get serious about racing, it should not be missed. Jamie is the man, prone, SUP, and a hell charger in critical surf. Stoked to have him join the festivities and glad to welcome him back to Long Beach!
Check-In Location: Check-In will be on the beach at National Boulevard in Long Beach, NY under the NYNJSurf.com tent. You will see the tent set up just east of the Lifeguard Hut. Enter the beach through the tunnel under the boardwalk at National Blvd. If asked, tell gate personnel you are participating in the Charity Paddle Race – do not pay beach access fee – no beach fee is required for competitors.
Race Day Timeline: (Please note – every effort will be made to strictly follow the timeline, please help us out by being prompt! ALSO: Start Time has been moved up to 11AM water, 11:15 Horn to take advantage of slack tide for the open ocean portion of the race.
8:30AM Check-In and Registration Table Opens under the NYNJSurf.com Tent on the beach at National Blvd. for Pre-registered Competitors. Beach registrations for late entries will be accepted until 10AM.
10:00AM Beach Registration CLOSED.
10:15AM Check-In for Preregistered Competitors CLOSED.
10:45AM Mandatory Pre-race instructions at the Registration tent
11:00AM Competitors may enter water to prepare for water start. Start line will be a line from the Edwards Blvd jetty extending south.
11:15AM Race Start!
- Please encourage your friends to pre-register! Registration on the beach is possible, but pre-registration makes everything run smoother! Help us all out, and email the this registration link to others you know are or might be coming: https://nynjsurfandpaddlecontests.webconnex.com/longbeach10miler2012
- Where to park, pre and post race. Street parking is available around National Boulevard, however the earlier you arrive, the easier it will be. Pops Seafood Shack and Grill Restaurant (click the link for a map) is where the race ends, and is just a 5 minute drive (or around a $5 cab ride). Competitors are encouraged to arrive early, check in, and shuttle your vehicles to the Pops. We may have volunteers providing shuttle service, but we cannot guarantee this. We can guarantee that there will be cabs available, and competitors are also encouraged to buddy up before or after the race to drop off or retrieve vehicles.
- Key Addresses and Phone Numbers:
- Allegria Hotel (Race Start): 80 West Broadway, Long Beach, NY 11561
- Best taxi service from Long Beach:
- Long Beach Taxi 516 523-0064
- Beech St Taxi 516 431-4444
- Pops Seafood Shack and Grill: 15 Railroad Place, Island Park, NY 11588
- Best taxi service from Island Park
- McRides 516 431-2222
- Race Divisions and Prize Money Please NOTE WELL: The race divisions are as follows:
- Mens SUP up to 14’
- Womens SUP up to 14’
- Mens SUP 12’6” and under
- Prone unlimited
Competitors are welcome to paddle on SUP’s larger than 14’, but will not be eligible for prize money.
On behalf of my event co-coordinators Justin Schwartz and Stephanie Shideler, thanks again for participating – please email me with questions, comments, concerns and recommendations!
Will Hallett - Event Coordinator 2012 NYNJPaddle.com Race Series